Monday, September 12, 2011

[F] "WINDOWS" Phone Scam


        Today I got a phone call from someone claiming that my computer contracted a virus and it is at risk. To the untrained ear the alarming news is too frightening to ignore. But when the caller said they would remove the entire virus for a small fee I started to get suspicious.Who the hell are these people? How would they know something happened to my computer? So I asked what company she was calling from. She claimed to be from Windows XP service center. Okay but I was still not convinced so I asked if they know what my IP address is but she could not say anything.I said if they could tell  what happened to my computer they must know my IP address. I asked for more information but she wouldn't tell me. My suspicion is confirmed. Obviously, I am being targeted by a fake virus phone scam.(Why didn't I realized that beforehand?)screamed at her and slammed the phone down.
         After a few milliseconds she called me again. It took about 6 good SCREAMS and SLAMS to get rid of this stupid person. :/ The whole situation really pissed me off especially since the stupid phone call woke me up from a nap.
        I heard these people would also ask if they can connect to your PC and might also plant other stuff on your computer and steal some information. Well the basic guidance is to be suspicious when people call you from put of the blue.Why would Windows be calling you directly anyway?o_O 
         Out of the 7,000 people contacted, more than 1,500 had been tricked into following the caller’s instructions. Worse than that, the average damage to a victim’s bank account was $875 — which amounts to just over $1.3 million hoisted from Microsoft’s small sampling alone. 19% of users also had passwords compromised and 17% reported identity theft."
WOW.. O__O


1 comment:

  1. hi! i did a response post about this post you did. here is the link thing

    http://natalie-y.blogspot.com/2011/09/re-i-hate-scams.html

    ReplyDelete